Thursday, December 10, 2009

Written to your local newspaper recently?

I wrote a letter to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph, the widest circulating daily newspaper in the UK, this past week.
My letter has not and might never be published, but I don’t see why the point I was trying to make is not made because an editor considers other letters on the subject more suitable for publication or there is insufficient space to accommodate everyone's views. That’s where blogging comes into its own.
The subject I was particularly aggrieved over was the claim that we should eat less meat to help save the plant from global warming! Quoted were scientists and politicians saying what a great idea it would be to reduce our consumption of meat by at least one third. The article was written by the paper’s medical correspondent and did not quote anyone from the livestock sector.
Call me a ‘flat-earther’ - as Prime Mister Gordon Brown would label me - or a cynic if you will, but personally I think the whole climate change issues is more reflective in the ‘King has no cloths’ analogy. I support many of the policies being proposed by the climate lobby if only because it makes good sense to clean up after ourselves and leave the place as we found it when we check out. Therefore, in terms of recycling, reducing the pollution we pump into the environment and atmosphere and avoiding contaminating water and land resources, I go long with many of the suggested polices. However, encouraging us to eat less meat will not mean we will all live longer and happier lives in a landscape as pristine as if there were no human habitation. ...Read the full blog on AnimalAgNet.

No comments:

Post a Comment